Acupuncture is becoming a culture of the Western World. This 5000-year-old practice is helping many people around the world. Not only patients, who are finding an alternative way of easing their pain but the practitioners who are finding a consistent source of income.
Even though for the naked eye this practice may seem as simple as inserting needles in people’s bodies, it takes more to obtain acupuncture certification. In the majority of states, becoming a practitioner takes effort and self-involvement. Acupuncture Miami is no different than the rest.
In Florida, a board of acupuncture ensures that every practitioner met the minimum requirements for a safe practice.
The practice of acupuncture is a privilege granted by the state of Florida and for this, future acupuncturists need to meet certain criteria.
If you are interested in becoming a certified acupuncturist and you live in Miami, this is all the information you need to know to get started.
According to Florida Board of Acupuncture, aspirants need to fulfill the following requirements:
- Be at least 21 years old.
- Must submit the application and pay the fee for licensure.
- Must complete the training program
- Acceptance of an examination offered by the NCCAOM -National Certification Commission for Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine- or the state examination approved by the board as equivalent.
- Proof of English Proficiency, this applies only to applicants who passed the national written exam in another language
- Proof of professional liability insurance coverage
The process to apply is easy, and it’s done online.
The first step is reading the application instructions and the laws and rules related to the practice of Acupuncture.
Second, you can start the application process. You can apply online as long as you are 21 years old or older. To apply you need to register to the website by inputting your basic information.
After 30 days of the application, you will receive a notice with the status of the application or eligibility if applicable, the application is complete when they receive payment.
According to the website, applications are review in the order in which they are received.
The Florida Board of Acupuncturist offers an online training, which is one of the main steps to get the license to practice acupuncture.
The training comprises of 2 years of study, in which the participants learn about western medicine, anatomy, physiology, pathology, biomedical terminology, first aid and CPR, also 15 hours of needling techniques and supervised training.
How to get an Acupuncture license?
The process to get the license can is available by sending all the required documents and fees online or to a physical address provided in the website.
The required documents are:
- A) Transcripts from your school
- B) A copy of the CCAOM CNT course completion – Council of Colleges of Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine Clean Needle Technique.
- C) Fee receipts: The fees are a non-refundable $200.00 application fee, an initial licensure fee which is $200.00 and $5.00 of an unlicensed activity fee. In total, $405.00 in fees.
- D) A proof of insurance coverage or proof of exception
- E) Request the National Certification Commission for Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine (NCCAOM) to send a copy of your Certified Diplomat Status form to the Board of Acupuncture.
- It takes hard work to become an acupuncturist.
Becoming a certified acupuncturist takes quite some effort and time, however, the compensation can be good. The CCAOM -Council of Colleges of Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine-reports that certified acupuncturists earn between $30,000 and $60,000 each year.
Thus, since acupuncture is becoming a culture and a lifestyle nowadays, the business is on the rise, since over 100,000 people are using acupuncture as a complementary treatment since 2002. This means that therapist will find job opportunities, whether working independently, this means you can become your own boss and run your office, this means you will be in charge of billing, scheduling and obtaining the equipment and insurance necessary to practice or in a clinic.
If you consider you have the skills, patience and the passion for this job, we suggest you visit the National Certification Commission for Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine to learn more about certification requirements for acupuncturists.